Thursday, May 17, 2012

Roasted Root Veggies - Gluten/Dairy/Soy Free

 Roasted Root Vegetables

While on my quest to find satisfying, filling, and detox friendly recipes, I came across this one.  I would have thought that all these starchy veggies would be discouraged on a detox/cleanse but I was wrong.  (shh!!)
I do want to encourage you to check out the original recipe posted here.  The site has a plethora of delicious detox recipes and I still have so many that I want to make for my family.  BUT, what I like is that it breaks down how each ingredient is cleansing to our diet.  AND, that it's guilt-free, comfort food!  I like that part.






Ingredients:(use organic whenever possible)
Use any or all of the following root vegetables:  Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Carrots, Potatoes, (I only used sweet potatoes since white aren't recommended in my cleanse) Daikon Radish, Yams, Winter Squash, Turnips, Parsnips, Beets

Use one of the following spice suggestions: Basil & Oregano, Curry, Garam Masala, Thyme & Sage, Cumin & Garlic Powder, Rosemary & Parsley, Spike, Old Bay or Chinese 5 Spice.

I have made this a couple of times because it's something that my whole family will eat.  It's SO FILLING and makes a great Main Course or Side Dish.  The first time I made it I used Rosemary and Thyme.  I know that wasn't one of the spice combinations suggested but Sage isn't recommended for nursing mothers and I am one.  The next time I made it I used the Rosemary and Parsley.  Both were very delicious.



Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Chop root veggies into fairly uniform bite sized pieces
  3. Toss with Olive Oil and herbs/spices of your choice and salt to taste.
  4. Bake in a large casserole dish for about 45 minutes or until veggies are tender to a fork and browned a bit.  Check after 30 minutes and toss. (I used my large roasting pan because there are SO MANY VEGGIES!!)
*If you are using beets and you don't want them to dye everything red, keep them off to the side of the pan instead of mixing them in with everything else.

And Voila!  A delicious and nutritious dish that will warm your tummy and curb those sugar cravings!! Of course, we had to top it with the Lemon Tahini Sauce 'cos it's just that good.



No comments:

Post a Comment