Monday, May 21, 2012

Berry Chia Porridge - Gluten/Dairy/Soy Free

Berry Chia Porridge
My husband told me yesterday that after 36 days on our "30 day detox"  he was getting tired of having berries everyday for breakfast.  I love berries and don't tire of them so I hadn't even thought of mixing it up. Plus, they were an easy, quick fix for me to have ready for him to take out of the fridge when he gets up at 4am to go to work. 

Since I am at home the majority of the time, I have eggs with my berries once or twice a week and sometimes I have a shake.  Once, as a treat I made some delectable gluten/dairy free pancakes which I will have a recipe on here for soon, but Bob usually just gets berries.  Anyway, I found a chia porridge recipe and altered it a bit so it would work better for us on our detox diet.  It's surprisingly very good and I hope you try it.

This works best if you make it the night before and refrigerate.

Ingredients

1/4 C. Chia Seeds
1/4 C. Shredded unsweetened coconut
1 C. Unsweetened milk alternative of your choice (almond, hemp, sunflower, coconut, rice)
1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp. Cinnamon
1-2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup (honey or stevia would also work)

Instructions

Mix chia seeds, coconut and milk in a bowl.  In a separate smaller dish, whisk or stir together the vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and maple syrup.  Add the latter ingredients to the chia seed/milk mixture.  Cover and refrigerate.  Serve cold or room temperature topped with fresh fruit (berries are best on your detox since they have a lower glycemic index) and enjoy.

*Tips*

I found Chia Seeds at my local Costco for 7.99 for a 2 lb. bag.  If you don't live near a Costco, check your grocery stores or amazon.com.  The health food stores have them but when I priced them they were about $10/lb.  

You can make your chia seed porridge in the morning.  Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes to soften, but the seeds won't fully absorb the liquid and will be crunchy, but still enjoyable :)

No comments:

Post a Comment