Friday, May 25, 2012

Heading Home (and on a Detox diet!)

After 2 years away, my kids and I are heading to Maine and Prince Edward Island to spend some time with our family for THREE WEEKS!!  


Adeline with Papa Allen (my dad)


The last time I was there my baby girl was not even 3 months old yet and now she is over 2 and talking up a storm.  I can't wait for my family to see all three of the kids and for my kids to have time to spend with the people that I grew up with - my cousins, aunts, uncles, and my grandparents.  My mother and stepfather, my dad and one of my grammie's usually come to visit us once a year.  Other than that we don't get to see everyone else!  Indiana is a LOOOONG way from Maine.




We don't have beaches like THIS in Indiana.

The smell of salt air...

Freshly caught lobsters...

...and super large boots to take pictures with :)

Emma is looking forward to seeing her mommy.  She looks so little in this pic from two years ago!!



View of Bucksport, Maine from Fort Knox


 I know that alot of you have been following my posts on my experience with the detox "diet".  I like to use the term diet loosely since it has such a negative connotation.  Today marks day 40.  I committed to 30 days and as you may have read in a previous post I decided to run with it longer.  Now that I am going away from my own home in Indiana, I have had to prepare myself mentally for what challenges I may face.  To date, my husband and I have not experienced going out to dinner since the second day of my detox, let alone staying with family who only want to feed you and make you happy.  I am excited for this challenge since the decisions I make in how to handle myself and the willpower and determination I have will allow me to prove to myself that doing this for the long haul is quite possible.  I plan to keep a similar regimen for myself there as what I am on here, that being: to take nuts and dried fruit with me to curb hunger, stay well-hydrated throughout my day, take along salads or make a shake to go when we can't be at home for a meal.  If all of the above are impossible, I know what things to avoid and will do my utmost to stay away from those things.  Thank goodness LOBSTER isn't on the list of DON'TS! (although I won't be dipping it in butter this time around.)

So, if you don't 'hear' from me alot over the next few weeks, it's probably because I am sniffing ocean air and tasting salt water on my lips.  I will post some more yummy recipes for you to try when I return (possibly some before I leave if I can spare a few moments).  I hope those of you who have been inspired to make healthier choices, even if you are removing one inflammatory food at a time, or doing a 7 or 10 day detox, have all the success as I have had so far.  Please feel free to contact me at daphne.thomas80@gmail.com if you have any questions or need some extra encouragement.  I would love to help even while I am away.  Remember, this is your life.  How do you choose to live it??? 







No comments:

Post a Comment