Wednesday, April 25, 2012

30 Day Detox Wellness Cleanse - Coping With Challenges

It's the end of day 11 of my 30 day detox.  I have to say that I am feeling pretty great this past week!  I haven't had a headache since about day 3 and that was only minor.  I am not use to having NO HEADACHES!  My face looks so healthy - a good glow to it and even all the normal body aches from inflammation are gone.  I haven't had to take any ibuprofen like I am use to doing and this is AWESOME because I really don't like putting that stuff into my body.  It confirms to me that the food we put into our mouths directly affects how our bodies react!

Processed, fatty, sugary foods = headaches, cramping, inflammation in joints, skin flaws, even temperament.  Oh, and don't forget WEIGHT GAIN.

Fresh, vibrant, nutrition-packed foods = healthy looking skin, energy, joy, youthfulness, and so on!

So what are some of the challenges I have had to face??

Well, for starters, the first 6 days I had no idea what to eat. 

I knew there were options out there for me, but it's so baffling when you are use to cooking "healthy meals" and suddenly realize that the majority of what you thought was ok is not.  Again, no soy, corn products, whey/dairy, gluten, sugar, caffeine and alcohol.  Even vinegar can't be used since it breeds yeast.  So suddenly even simple things like a salad become a challenge.  "What do I put ON my salad???"  (BTW, salads topped with fruit and a few nuts are great and a squeeze of lemon - you won't miss the dressing it's so juicy.  Veggie salads are good with a drizzle of EVOO and squeeze of lemon.)

This second week in, I got down to business and started really playing with my food.  I bought TONS of nutrition packed fruits and veggies and nuts, seeds, dried fruits, almond milk and a few gluten/dairy/soy free breads.  I have been having fun sauteeing veggies with lots of onions and garlic and throwing in small  amounts of meat.  I have a super delicious wild rice pilaf from Costco that has barley, red rice, lentils, wild rice and dehydrated veggies in it.  Yum.  Costco has TONS of organic healthy choices like fresh veggies, fruits and even meats.  We buy our beef from a farm in Michigan and it's all organic and grass fed.  I also found out I CAN HAVE CHEESE! YAY! Goat cheese is allowed when detoxing because it's so much easier for your body to digest.  That just opened up a whole bunch of doors for me to create healthy delicious recipes!

Here's a few things I had for dinner this past week:


This particular night I was starving!  I had a TINY bit of beef left and chopped it up, sauteed it with a very small amount of grape seed oil and tons of onions, garlic and green beans.  Half a "naked" sweet potato and a poached egg - had too...my body wanted more protein!




Another sauteed dinner: Wild rice pilaf (from Costco) a little bit of turkey breast chopped and sauteed with red, yellow and orange bell pepper, onions and yellow squash.  A few cukes on the side.




And my PIZZA!! Udi's makes a ready to go pizza crust and I topped it with a small amount of sauce, a sprinkle of goat cheese, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes and yellow squash.  Totally wish I remembered the spinach!

Of course these are all dinners.  Breakfast and lunch are all raw foods. 

Which brings me to the second challenge: Can I do this detox and LEAVE my house??

Answer: YES!!  I have just had to be prepared ahead of time!  When I get my husband ready for the next days meals (he leaves VERY early in the morning for work) I cut up a big bowl full of fruit for him for breakfast and sometimes he makes some eggs to go with it.  I make him a salad and top it with TONS of veggies or fruits and nuts to take for his lunch and I pack up some dried fruits and nuts for him to snack on.  A couple of times he has gotten salmon filet (cooked the night ahead) and chopped turkey breast with his salad. 
For me, if I know I am leaving for a few hours with the kids, I pack some sandwiches for them, drink my shake for breakfast and take a salad to go for myself.  Like I said, a little extra effort but the rewards are great. 

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this: I have to pat myself on the back for this one.  I made the kids cupcakes the other day.  It's a rare treat but their dad is out of town for a few days for work and I was trying to make this fun for them and keep their minds off it.  I did NOT eat one! I did not eat ANY, I should say!  And guess what (pinch - ouch) Yup.  Still alive. AND, I have lost NINE pounds in 11 days.

4 comments:

  1. i've been following this and i'm totally impressed...you actually make this seem doable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to give it a try, Rheanna? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne - I'm impressed as well! Cleanses can be tough, but it sounds like the benefits you are receiving are well worth it. Thanks for mentioning our gluten free pizza crust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! All of Udi's breads that I have tried are delicious! The best we've found ;) (Btw, I'd love to know how you came across my blog!)

      Delete